Happy World Read Aloud Day!
What special book are you reading to or with your children today?
We do a lot of reading at home, my children are too young to read by themselves but they love books. Today we are sharing a few tips to make reading a book more fun!
- Make it fun! Use different voices, exaggerate reactions, do not be afraid to play silly.
- Ask questions about the pictures, the story. Can you guess what is going to happen next? What would you done differently?
- Ask them to describe what they see, can they guess the story?
- Make ‘mistakes’. If your children are like mine they like correcting me when I change something in the story, unless we agreed to all change something.
- All the above is even more important when you have been reading the same book for the 10th in a row. Repetition is their way to learn and they are registering different elements of the story at every reading.
- Read a bout things they like, pirates, dinosaurs, fairies, knights, cars, animals, other cultures…
- Never stop reading to your child even when they learn to read by themselves.
- Keep reading, the more they see you read the more they want to do it.
If you are a multicultural family, think about bilingual books. They are a great resources as both parents can read in their language. Children get to learn new words in both languages.
Let’s read, read, read!